- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon plus a pinch salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 30 to 40 vanilla wafers
- 3 to 4 medium ripe bananas
- separate the yolks from the whites of 3 of the eggs, set
aside the whites. Add the remaining whole egg to the yolks.
- In a saucepan, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar, the flour and
1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in the whole egg and 3 yolks, and then
stir in the milk. Cook uncovered, stirring often, until the mixture
thickens, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- Arrange a layer of vanilla wafers in a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish,
thinly slice the bananas crosswise about 1/8 inch thick, and arrange
a layer of bananas over the wafer, spread a thin layer of the pudding
over top continue until ending with wafers on top.
Beat the reserved egg whites with a pinch of salt until they are
stiff. Gradually beat in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and continue
beating until the whites will not slide out of the mixing bowl when
it is tilted.
Spread the meringue over the pudding with a spatula, making a few
decorative peeks on top, and bake until the meringue is lightly browned